Monday, January 18, 2010

fluidity - 2007


Work from 2007

These works were all part of the exhibition 'Fluidity' held at Wattspace, the University of Newcastle Student gallery where I was doing Post grad work that year. After a considerable phase over a few years painting geometrically inspired works I was approaching the same fascination with layering and multiplicity in an entirely different way. Quite simply eye problems exacerbated by long hours in the studio working on layer upon layer of fine lines to build up a rich illusion of depth on canvas forced me to consider another way of approaching the work.
Below are a series of small works on paper using acrylic paint applied directly from the tube or from a syringe at great speed. This was not easy to control so the works featured lines that were slightly wonky - something that after the previous intensely exacting line work came as a welcome relief.
Click to enlarge and view.

























This work was the most minimal of all that was done during this period of months. the raised line of paint from the syringe gave the work its character - even though it is difficult to view here. the following post elaborates on this a little more.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.