Monday, January 18, 2010

micro-macro - fluidity: 2004-2007

                                         
                                                  
This series of works evolved slowly - first starting with less layered compositions in 4 distinct colours - white, aqua, maroon and black. The forms, compositions and colours arrived quite mysteriously and it was actually unsettling to not have a sense of having consciously created the works... particularly the first 5 paintings. Unannounced visitors that puzzled me and took a long time to convince me they belonged. I actually hid them at one stage and only much later - 18 months or longer - did I decide to pull them out and rethink them. It came to me to add the greens to bridge the starkness of the original 4 colours... in the meantime I had been exploring underwater colour and movement whilst swimming and I started to see this underwater realm differently. Also images from New science were turning up everywhere and the idea of particles and the micro-universe was engaging my attention. Eventually the works ended up in the Post-grad exhibition in 2007 at Newcastle University titled 'Fluidity'. Even though by this time I was approaching fluidity in new ways the concept was utterly engaging for most of the 2000's and it lent itself to numerous interpretations. 











































These 2 works received awards in in the 2006 Maitland Art Prize in their various sections. The work above 'Untitled' won the Work on Paper Section, the work below 'Sensitive Chaos' ( 1metre sq) was the work singled out for  Highly Commended in the Open $10,000 prize and a small work which was sold was highly commended in the miniature section.  The annual prize was judged by Professor Anne Graham, head of Fine Arts at Newcastle University NSW where I undertook Post -grad studies the following year with her as supervisor. The work 'Untitled' is in the collection of the Mailtand Art Gallery.



Sensitive Chaos - NB: unfortunately the colour not at all accurate in this image.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.