Monday, June 27, 2011

some thoughts on workshops ...


Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention.

Be astonished.

Tell about it.


~ Mary Oliver



Yesterday I started a series of workshops at Percolator Gallery .... I'll return with some images of that soon. One of the participants, Katrina Stirling,  has already posted at her blog on the workshop which was wonderful to discover.

"Colours of nature" is a workshop I put together as a way to combine my love of both .... and to offer others a chance to think much more about what is the relationship they have with color... and also perhaps nature.

This small drawing below is one of Katrina's from the class which she had posted on the blog... click on her name above to read that post!

Katrina Stirling

The small poem above by Mary Oliver perhaps best describes the essence for me of what it means to  respond to the natural world. If one looks closely enough there is much to be astonished about and tell of! And it does require we pay attention.

That is something that I like to think workshops provide a wonderful opportunity for... not only does the facilitator bring things forward for others to pay attention to ... but each participant is likely also to present some insight and a certain quality of thinking and feeling that might also resonate with others and prove invaluable...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.