Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cairns Residency Week 1: Orientation


Living next to a Botanic Garden is a great pleasure, albeit temporarily! I only have to walk a few minutes to be here at the entrance of the Visitors Centre at the Gardens.



This board lights up at night ... 


The gate below leads into the Tanks Art Centre in the Gardens precinct... the exhibition will be on here.



Home for 4 weeks ...a comfy Qld-style house on stilts!


The back yard



All week Ive collected seeds... identifying them all will be a task though!


I've borrowed these interesting guides ( above left) that are on laminated fold out cards and make for concise reading!



I brought with me a bundle of drawings on A4 that are simple working drawings for inspiration. I like to have visual prompts around to feel the space is mine.



after 5 days the place is looking very lived in!





Seed collecting has been helped along by the fact that I gave a brief intro on my project to the Garden staff on Thursday... I get messages to say there are things waiting for me in their outdoor lunch room.



The conversations with staff allow one to feel quite at home... the fact everyone is so friendly is a huge plus! 


Today being Sunday I have not meetings and plan to spend a long day in the studio... week one has been so dense with meeting everyone and getting oriented to  the house, a new studio, the city of Cairns as well as the Gardens.

Huge thanks to Curator Chris Stannard, Gio and co. The only thing I am having to seriously adjust to are the Midges (tiny biting insects which leave nasty itches) and insects of all kinds. Note to self: apply sunscreen when going cycling into town! 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.